Monday, November 10, 2008

What the hell am i suppose to do?

Today was the board meeting where the student's result are discussed. I always have problems at the meting because the marks are quite high.

The problem with programming subject is its programming. Either the program works or it does not. If the program works, how the hell am I suppose to deduct marks? Its not fair to the students.

These people are funny, if the marks too high they are unhappy and if the marks are too low they are also unhappy. They follow the "Bell Curve" theory, but i feel the bell curve is suited better for products rather than people as people have characteristics and not a product. If in a class of 20, there are 10 good students, it will make the bell curve go crazy already.

The problem is some people take this curve as a holy grail, proclaiming, only one of you can get A, at the beginning of the semester. That is bad as its demotivationg for the rest of the students.

Back to the story, they wanna check my labs, I have 20 students, 10 labs and each labs 5 to 6 questions. I hope the person that checks enjoy seeing all the questions. ha ha.

An American company has taken over and it seems some people have ultra high expectation of them. The college now can get 5000 students. hmmm. I used to work with a company called RosettaNet, its the in thing in the states, and people expect that it will be very popular in Malaysia.

And know what, i dont want to sound so extreme but its a failure here. It failed because people failed to look at the differences in culture and local situations. They say its very successful in south america, but the culture there is different from here. We will see whether these people can back up what thay say.

I still believe honesty is the best, and I apologize for what I am about to do.....

4 comments:

cinanmoroll said...

sir, i support you, human i human. how can they try to deduct students marks when they deserve it? it is so unfair, and sadly how many lecturer dare to say no, my student deserve it? douban was 1 of them who say so.

SMS said...

I am not gonna cut marks. I am gonna find another job

truthzz said...

human always contradictory and slap own mouth often, high mark unhappy, low mark also unhappy... >.<
what human begin thinking??

p/s:sir, are you serious???

Dumbo, the Sojourning Elephant said...

Serious or not, consider this:

Where Yani is teaching now, the place has TWO football fields, a few tennis courts, an indoor stadium with several badminton courts (and I basketball court, I think), and numerous other amenities. You are single. You can move there.

If you have lost his number, get from me. :-)