Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sharpening the axe

I found an interesting story on the paper that is used to wrap my nasi kandar. It must be fate, so share with you this interesting story.

Once upon a time, a strong and skilled woodcutter asked for a job from a timber merchant.

He got the job with a good salary and decent work conditions. And so, the woodcutter was determined to do his best for his boss. His boss gave him an axe and on his first day, the woodcutter cut down 15 trees. The boss was pleased and said: "Well done, good work!"

Highly motivated, the woodcutter tried harder the next day, but could only fell 13 trees. The third day, he tried harder but only 11 trees were chopped down.

Day after day, he tried harder but he cut down fewer trees. "I must be losing my strength", the woodcutter thought. He apologized to the boss, claiming he could not understand why.

"When was the last time you sharpen your axe" the boss asked.

"Sharpen? I had no time to sharpen my axe. I have been too busy cutting down the trees" said the woodcutter.

He sharpen his axe and was immediately back to 15 trees a day. Since then, he begins the day by sharpening his axe.

In this modern world, our axe are our skills, knowledge, mind, physical body, relationships, motivations, commitment to succeed, capacity for growth and emotions.

No comments: